The Program and Administrative Services (PA) bargaining team discussed expanding a range of leave options and flexible hours of work during talks with Treasury Board September 21-23.
The bargaining team proposed several improvements, including:
- Enhancing sick leave by increasing the amount of sick leave that can be advanced to members as well as limiting when a medical note may be requested, while ensuring the employer covers any associated fees.
- Expanding leave for family-related responsibilities by increasing the hours provided. This would be applicable to care for any family member, along with care for children whose daycare or schools have closed. The proposal would also remove the cap of 7.5 hours for legal appointments and specify that the leave can be used to visit a terminally ill family member.
- Expanding bereavement leave by increasing the number of days provided in the event of the death of a family member. The proposal would also allow employees to benefit from bereavement leave in the event of a miscarriage and in the event of the death of an aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, sibling-in-law, or a person for whom the employee was on compassionate care leave.
- Expanding the possibility for flexible working arrangements by allowing employees to request flexible hours between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- Strengthening injury on duty leave by requiring that a certified workers’ compensation authority determines the length of leave rather than individual managers, who do not have the same expertise or impartiality.
The PA team returns to the table October 25-28. The common issues table will meet September 27-29.
PSAC is committed to pushing for a fair deal that addresses the issues raised by members at the National Bargaining Conference, and rejecting any concessionary proposals from the employer.
Show your support
Meet your bargaining team, learn why they got involved in this round of negotiations and show your support with our bargaining graphics:
- Video background for all your work meetings
- Social media frame for your social media profile picture
- Printable poster for your work area
Stay in touch
Please be sure to keep your contact information up to date via the member portal to receive all the latest updates as we negotiate your next contract.