Bargaining for the members at the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) began August 23-25 as the bargaining team exchanged proposals at their first meeting with the employer. The CFIA bargaining team received a strong mandate from members at the CFIA bargaining conference to address key priorities at the table.
The team is working hard to secure a fair deal that will address major concerns and outstanding issues and reject any concessions from the employer. CFIA tabled a package that is littered with proposals that would weaken members’ collective agreements.
Key issues include:
- Work-life balance: We’re aiming to improve work-life balance, such as more leave for personal and family responsibilities.
- Working conditions: We’re working to implement better working conditions for all members, whether they work on-site or remotely.
- Contracting out and privatization: We must strengthen protections against contracting out and find ways to increase recruitment and retention of members for key positions.
- Job security: We must oppose all forms of precarious employment, protect members from layoffs, and ensure that all members have timely access to indeterminate employment.
- Inclusive workplace: We’re pushing for better measures to protect members from all forms of harassment and promote mental health to ensure a safer, healthier workplace for everyone.
Although not included in our initial proposal, the bargaining team will be fighting to secure fair wage increases to keep up with the rising cost of living, and job-specific allowances in proposals later this fall.
Over the coming months, PSAC negotiator Hassan Husseini and regional bargaining team members will be planning site visits across the country. These visits will be an opportunity for members at CFIA to learn more about the bargaining process and share their concerns.
The team and the employer will meet again on the following dates:
- October 18-20, 2022
- November 22-24, 2022
- December 13-15, 2022
- January 31-February 2, 2023
- February 28-March 2, 2023
Support your bargaining team and stay engaged by signing up for the latest bargaining updates. Your support is crucial as we fight to negotiate a fair collective agreement.
If you have any questions, please contact one of your bargaining team members.
CFIA bargaining team members
- Adesoji Fayemiwo
- Sylvie Jubinville
- Dorothy McRae
- Andy Neufeld
- Randy Olynyk
- Jan Pennington
- Michelle Schultz
- Sandra Sheppard
- Sylvia Venne
Negotiator: Hassan Husseini
Research Officer: Silja Freitag