- Where can I find out what we’ve negotiated in the new collective agreement?
- Why did we negotiate a three-year contract instead of a four-year deal like other unions?
A three-year agreement will allow PSAC, as the largest bargaining agent, to set the pace of negotiations in the next round.
- How much of a delay can we expect before our new collective agreement is implemented?
The CFIA has 180 days from the date of signing the new collective agreement to:
- raise the pay according to the new rates
- provide retro pay for the time elapsed since the expiry of the old contracts and
- pay $500 as a penalty for extended implementation timelines
If the employer fails to provide retro pay within the 180-day deadline they will face additional financial penalties. Upon that failure, employees will be awarded $50 on day 181 and again every 90 days. This is in addition to the $500 listed above.
- Will retroactive pay be taxable?
Yes, retroactive pay is subject to taxes.
- Who is eligible to receive the $250 one-time lump sum payment?
The $250 one-time lump sum payment is intended for PSAC members who are working in slaughterhouse facilities on an indeterminate basis, as of the date of signing of the collective agreement, at the EG-02, EG-03 or EG-05 occupational group and level.
- Do I get the $250 one-time payment if I am on an assignment in a slaughterhouse facility?
No, the $250 one-time lump sum payment is only given to employees who are working, as of the date of signing of the collective agreement, in a slaughterhouse facility on an indeterminate basis.
- Is the $250 one-time lump sum allowance given for being a frontline worker during the COVID-19 Pandemic?
No, the allowance has nothing to do with extra pay for front line workers during the pandemic. This one-time $250 payment was given in recognition of the union’s withdrawal (in this round only) of our demand for a Meat Hygiene Allowance.
- I am currently on maternity leave or about to go on leave. Will I be able to take advantage of the improvements to maternity and parental leave right away?
The changes to maternity and parental leaves will take effect on the date of the signing of the collective agreement. Keep in mind that once you start receiving parental leave benefits, you cannot change the duration of your leave.
For more information on the new Parental Allowance, check out our most frequently asked questions on the topic.
- Where can I get details on the Phoenix settlement?
Please refer to our FAQ on the Phoenix damages settlement.
- When will members vote on this tentative agreement?
PSAC has organized ratification votes for all members at CFIA between October 5 and November 4. Find out more information regarding voting eligibility, how to register, and how to cast your ballots.
FAQ: CFIA Collective Agreement
October 9, 2020