We are in a historic moment in which Indigenous, Black, and racialized people around the world are leading mass movements to defend their humanity and are achieving dramatic changes so that they may live in freedom. At the same time, many white people are recognizing that our society and our systems promote racism in ways they had not noticed or understood before – be it in the workplace, in schools, in policing, in the justice system, in healthcare, in unions, and so forth.
Below you will find resources on a variety of themes to support learning on anti-racism for everyone.
Watch An Introduction to Antiracism for White Folks (video webinar)
A conversation between Paige Galette and Nora Loreto
Scholar and activist Angela Y. Davis has said that in a racist society, it is not enough to be non-racist. We must be antiracist.
This webinar features activists Paige Galette and Nora Loreto in conversation on the following topics:
- What is the difference between non-racism and anti-racism?
- What is white people’s role in the fight against racism?
If you are wondering – “why a webinar for white folks?” Please read this backgrounder.
PSAC Ontario will be offering a webinar titled “Understanding and Confronting Racism” on August 10th, 2020 at 6pm as part of the regional webinar series.
They will discuss:
- Individual, Institutional and Systemic Racism in Canada
- Unique challenges of Anti-Indigenous and Anti-Black Racism
- Being Actively Anti-Racist in the Workplace
This webinar is open to everyone.
Get more detilas or register at http://ontario.psac.com/webinars
Anti-Indigenous Racism and Decolonization
- Watch APTN News – hear and see the stories from community perspective
- Decolonizing Practices - Recommended Reading List
- Cassyex Consulting Visual Policy Analysis Tool to be used by both Indigenous and non-Indigenous groups to inspire research and analysis of their own policies to address anti-Indigenous racism.
- Dear Media: Yes, Canada Is Racist, by Pam Palmater (Pam’s podcast is great as well)
- Idle No More
- Whose Land Is It Anyway? A Manual for Decolonization
- Land Back - A Yellowhead Institute Red Paper
- Indigenous Ally Toolkit from the Montreal Indigenous Community NETWORK
- Black Lives Matter: Anti-Racism Resources for Social Workers and Therapists
- If Black lives truly matter in Canada, an apology for slavery is only a first step by Natasha Henry, June 9, 2020 Spacing Toronto
- Most Canadians unaware of Canada’s history of slavery by Dorothy Grant, July 10, 2020, The Chronicle Herald
- Resistance and Resurgence: Confronting Anti-Black Racism in Canada Webinar by Feminists Deliver
Anti-Racism Resources For White People
- Anti-Racism Resource list by Sarah Sophie Flicker and Alyssa Klein, May 2020. This document is intended to serve as a resource to white people and parents to deepen our anti-racism work. Includes books, films, videos, podcasts, articles, resources fore raising anti-racist children
- ‘I don’t see race’ and other white lies
- Why we need to talk about whiteness
- What my bicycle taught me about white privilege
- Loving a Black Person Isn’t the Same as Fighting for Black Lives
- How can we win video
- Me & White Supremacy – Layla F. Saad