The National Board of Directors (NBoD) of the PSAC has established criteria to govern the granting of PSAC long-term service pins and certificates.
The awards seek to recognize long-term officers of the union at any level who have continuously served the membership.
- The pin and certificate will only be awarded to a person who meets the established criteria immediately preceding a meeting of the Honours and Awards Committee. Nominees who meet the criteria after the Committee has met will be reviewed at a subsequent committee meeting.
- A union officer, for the purpose of award determination, will include stewards within the Public Service Alliance of Canada.
- Service may be either continuous or discontinuous, except for reasons of union discipline, and can include various officer positions.
- Nominations may be submitted electronically.
- Applications for service awards may be submitted by constitutionally-recognized Committees, Area Councils, Regional Councils, Components, Locals, Branches and Directly Chartered Locals (DCL). Local and Branch applications must be submitted through their respective Component. Constitutionally-recognized Committee, Area Council, Regional Council and DCL applications must be submitted through the respective Region. The Component or REVP will ensure enclosure of a complete service history.
- The Honours and Awards Committee will review all applications, and recommend recipients to the PSAC National Board of Directors at each NBoD meeting. Following ratification by the NBoD, awards, certificates and pins will be forwarded to Presidents of Components or REVPs with the names of recipients and their awards for presentation or distribution.
- To be considered by the NBoD, nominations must be submitted 30 days prior to any NBoD meetings – complete with endorsement from the Component or REVP – to the PSAC Executive Office. Nominating bodies require time to review applications, so earlier submission is advisable.