Knowledge and experience:
The candidate requires:
• Significant experience in the labour and/or social justice movement;
• Knowledge of union and social issues;
• Knowledge of the political and operational structure of the PSAC.
• Ability to analyze, apply, explain, and interpret collective agreements, employment legislation, and employer policies and directives;
• Ability to inspire, motivate, and organize groups to achieve collective goals and objectives;
• Ability to design and facilitate union education courses according to the principles and practices of popular education;
• Ability to develop union education materials;
• Ability to communicate orally and in writing in English with workers in a variety of occupations and backgrounds;
• Ability to create and bring strategic plans to fruition.
• Ability to demonstrate their commitment to union principles and social justice;
• High degree of self-motivation and initiative is expected;
• Good judgment, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills, teamwork and leadership are required under circumstances that are often stressful and politically sensitive;
• Familiarity with basic computer technology.