Filling a workers’ compensation claim

Need help?

Ask a member of your local executive, your component or your PSAC regional office for assistance in the wording of your workers’ compensation claim.

If you are a victim of harassment and or violence in the workplace (“psychological harassment” in Quebec), you should file a workers’ compensation claim in your work jurisdiction.

According to a PSAC survey on violence in the workplace, less than 3% of victims of workplace violence  filed a workers’ compensation claim.

What is a workers’ compensation claim?

A workers’ compensation claim is a form of insurance providing wage replacement and medical benefits to employees injured in the course of employment.

All PSAC members are covered by the compensation board in the province or territory in which they work, not on the province or territory where they live.

How do I file a claim?

When you see your doctor or health-care practitioner, you must advise them that the injury occurred at work.

You must fill out a claim form to the workers’ compensation board covering your workplace and send any relevant medical information. The name of the worker’s compensation board is different in every province and territory. Contact your PSAC regional officer for advice.

Each province has a time period to file a claim so make sure that you file your claim before the deadline.

What else do I need to know?

  1. Should the claim be allowed, you may be entitled to benefits for lost time due to injury.
  1. While all PSAC members are covered under a workers compensation board, some provinces and territories have policies on how to deal with mental stress claims as a result of violence, harassment and bullying, while others do not (See the Definitions under different laws and regulations section for details.).
  1. If your claim is denied (e.g. due to a lack of medical information or unclear wording on your claim), discuss your case with a PSAC regional health and safety representative to see if you should appeal your denial. All workers’ compensation boards have an appeal process with a strict deadline, so do not wait.

Your PSAC regional office can help you. You can also visit your province or territory’s workers’ compensation website for further information.

You are not alone, your union is here to help you.


July 28, 2022