Do you know a retired or former federal public service worker? They may be entitled to $2,500

Thousands of retired and former PSAC members are eligible for up to $2,500 in Phoenix general damages but may not know they can make a claim.

While current members automatically received the amounts on their paycheque in March 2021, the process for members who have left or retired from the federal public service to apply for general damages only opened in December 2021.

Former members and legal representatives of a former member or estate of a deceased member who worked for the federal public service between the fiscal years of 2016 and 2020have the right to claim the maximum lump sum of $2,500. These damages, negotiated in October 2020 by PSAC under the Phoenix pay system damages agreement, include compensation for the late implementation of collective agreements during those years due to the Phoenix pay system.

According to the latest numbers, about 13,000 retired and former PSAC members have applied for general damages. PSAC believes around 45,000 should be entitled to these amounts, meaning that the vast majority of retired and former members are missing out on potentially up to $2,500.

Applying for general damages is a very quick process and we encourage everyone entitled to claim these amounts.

To receive the amount you are entitled to, you must submit a claim, either online or by mail. Once the claim is evaluated, and you have agreed that the government’s calculation of monies owed is correct, the amount will be paid in one instalment. Please note that general damages payments are subject to overpayment recovery.

Submit your claim online

Submit your claim by mail

Other claims

Current and former members can also claim out-of-pocket expenses because of Phoenix pay problems. Check the list of eligible expenses that can be claimed for reimbursement and complete this online form.

In addition to the out-of-pocket claims, current and former members have access to other types of claims, such as reimbursement for tax advice, advance for government benefits or a claim for impacts to income taxes and government benefits.

Some members have been severely impacted, both personally and financially, due to their Phoenix pay problems. Both current and former members can file a severe impact claim, and we strongly encourage anyone who believes they may qualify for one to file.

If you have questions or need help with the claim process, consult the Contact us section of the claims website.

For more information on Phoenix general damages for retired and former PSAC members please see our FAQs.


October 5, 2022