Workplace Violence and Bullying: Filing a Workers’ Compensation Claim

If you are a victim of a violent incident, which includes harassment (“psychological harassment” in Quebec) or bullying, you should file a workers’ compensation claim.

In a July 2015 PSAC survey on violence in the workplace, less than 3% of victims of workplace violence said they had filed a workers’ compensation claim!

What is workers’ compensation?

Workers' compensation is a form of insurance providing wage replacement and medical benefits to employees injured in the course of employment.

All PSAC members are covered by the provincial or territorial compensation board in the province or territory in which they work (not based on where they live.

How do I file a claim?

When you see your doctor or health-care practitioner, you must advise them that the injury occurred at work.

You must fill out a claim form to the workers’ compensation board and send any relevant medical information.

Need help?

Ask a member of your local executive, your component or your PSAC regional office for assistance in the wording of your workers’ compensation claim.

Each province has a time period to file claims make sure you file your claim within the timeframe.

What else do I need to know?

  • Your employer must also report any violent incident to the workers’ compensation board.
  • You are entitled to benefits for lost time due to injury or post-traumatic stress disorder.
  • While all PSAC members are covered under a provincial or territorial workers’ compensation board, some provinces have policies on how to deal with mental stress claims as a result of violence, harassment and bullying, while others do not.
  • If your claim is denied, e.g. because of lack of medical information or unclear wording on your claim, discuss your case with a union representative to see if you should appeal your denial. All provincial or territorial compensation boards have an appeal process with a strict deadline, so do not wait!

 Your PSAC regional office can assist you and you can also visit your province’s WCB website for further information.

You are not alone. Your union is here to help!


October 6, 2015