Under the direction of the Regional Coordinator and as part of a regional team that includes other regional office staff, the Regional Council, the Regional Education Committee, and other regional union bodies such as the Alliance Facilitators’ Network, the Regional Education Officer builds the union and fosters membership solidarity by coordinating the development and delivery of a quality program of membership education and empowerment in the region. The Regional Education Officer closely collaborates with other Regional Education Officers and with the staff of the Education Section in Ottawa to maintain a core Program of PSAC Membership Education that is relevant, comprehensive, innovative and dynamic.
Education and experience:
- Significant experience as a popular educator, creative writer, and program administrator.
- Knowledge of the labour movement, trade union practices and organization, principles of labour and human rights legislation, and the current social, political, and economic issues that affect PSAC members.
- Ability to develop educational materials (including the ability to assess learning needs, formulate objectives, create innovative and participatory methodology, and write facilitators’ notes and participants’ handouts);
- Ability to produce letters, reports, analyses within deadlines;
- Ability to facilitate (including the ability to assess group process, to analyze individual behaviour and group dynamics, to synthesize group thoughts and opinions, to solve problems, build consensus and promote effective teamwork);
- Ability to estimate costs, forecast expenditures, and develop/program budgets;
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing to a wide range of union members, and the ability to develop a plan and bring it to fruition.
- Active commitment to union and social justice principles.
- High degree of initiative, tact, and good judgment, who works collaboratively and respectfully with others, and copes well with stress;
- Long irregular hours and travel are sometimes required.
A detailed job description is available at: http://psacunion.ca/jobs-psac
The PSAC is committed to employment equity and is actively seeking to ensure a representative workforce. We encourage applications from members of equity seeking groups.