Sisters and Brothers,
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sending a letter to Minister Judy Foote letting her know how the Phoenix pay system is adversely affecting you. So far, the Minister has received more than 2,000 letters and we have been reviewing your comments very closely.
We want you to know that our union is doing everything in its power to ensure the new pay system is fixed immediately so you get paid on time.
Apart from our letter-writing campaign, our efforts include:
- Filing a court application to force the federal government to meet its legal duty to provide timely and accurate pay for public service employees. We have requested a court hearing without delay
- Filing an unfair labour practice grievance
- Working closely with department officials to ensure that employees have access to emergency payments
- Sending a letter to Minister Foote demanding that her department do the following:
- Rehire experienced workers into compensation and benefit jobs until the federal pay system is restored, which the Minister has agreed to do
- Appoint an independent auditor to examine the causes of this crisis and recommend long-term solutions, which the Minister also agreed to do
- Immediately ensure that all departments have sufficient funds and human resources so that priority payments can be made to workers
- Commit to reparations for any worker suffering financial penalties as a result of missed pay cheques
- Make certain that employees’ security clearance and reliability status is in no way affected by poor credit ratings caused by the government’s failure to pay employees correctly or on time
We will continue to fight for our members’ rights to receive the pay they are owed.
Again, we thank you for your involvement in ensuring that the Phoenix pay system is fixed immediately. We will keep you updated on the latest developments.