In the wake of the Phoenix pay disaster, PSAC has worked hard to secure the support and relief that so many of our members needed. Here’s what we’ve accomplished for so far:
What we've done:
- Negotiated compensation for your out-of-pocket expenses.
- Went to court to ensure support for those on disability, maternity, and parental leave.
- Forced the government to expand access to emergency pay.
- Made sure compensation advisors are there to guide you through pay problems.
- Successfully pushed the government to halt the recovery of overpayments and emergency pay until employees’ pay files have been cleared of all outstanding transactions.
- Forced the government to end to gross payback for overpayments.
- Expanded the financial claims process for Phoenix losses
- Ended the contracting out of Phoenix support to call centres that lacked the information needed to support our members.
- Got the labour board to declare that the government illegally failed to meet collective agreement deadlines.
- Launched a national TV and online ad campaign to raise public awareness and create pressure on the government for greater action on Phoenix.
What we're still doing:
- Keeping Phoenix in the public eye by carrying out escalating actions around the country such as demonstrations, MP office sit-ins and building shutdowns to keep the pressure on.
- Negotiating damages to compensate members for for the great financial and emotional hardship they have endured because of Phoenix.
- Pushing the government to maintain and provide the additional staffing and training needed to:
- assist members at the Client Contact Centre and the Public Service Pay Centre;
- reduce Phoenix cases by ensuring HR data is entered on time;
- and eliminate the backlog of Phoenix cases, including implementing collective agreements and delivering retroactive pay.
- Demanding that this government provides a clear and accountable timeline to stabilize Phoenix, eliminate the backlog, and transition to a new pay system.
- Escalating the resolution of the most serious and urgent Phoenix cases
- Regular lobbying of MPs to keep pressure on the government
- Ensuring members are consulted throughout the acquisition and development of the next generation pay system.
- Making sure you’re not alone in the fight. Every day, we represent and support members at every step to help resolve Phoenix pay problems.
September 26, 2019