A good resolution...
- uses clear simple wording;
- is concise and focused – respects the word limit (i.e. 150 words for the PSAC Convention)
- deals with just one topic (problem) and has one major objective;
- clearly identifies the problem;
- specifically outlines the required action;
- builds in accountability i.e. deadlines, who will be responsible for implementing the proposed action, what resources will be required;
- ensures the action proposed is within the jurisdiction of the organization to implement;
- isn’t something that is constitutionally dealt with in another way (i.e. bargaining demands)
- allows for flexibility in implementation - it’s the end result that accounts;
- is submitted on time (is not a late resolution);
- isn’t about something that is already enacted;
- applies the WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHY and HOW test.
September 2, 2014