The Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives today released its 2017 Alternative Federal Budget (AFB).
High Stakes, Clear Choices: Alternative Federal Budget 2017 would address inequality, poverty, climate change and job creation.
Some of its proposed actions include:
- Establishing a federal minimum wage of $15 an hour, indexed to inflation
- Lowering the eligibility requirement for employment insurance
- Directing funds raised through carbon taxes to low-income households
- Providing families access to affordable child care and home care, and ensuring workers who provide these services are paid a living wage
- Ending the special tax treatment Canada gives to domestic and foreign corporations
Quality public service
To ensure that Canadians receive quality public services the AFB proposes to:
- Hire a sufficient number of federal public service employees
- Create more permanent jobs in the federal public service
- Create an infrastructure bank that is funded through public borrowing and not through P3s
The AFB proves there is a clear path to a more equal and sustainable future.