The PSAC fully recognizes that family is not solely defined as consisting of “mother and father with children” and may take several forms including, but not limited to: single parents, same-sex parents, dependant relatives residing in the household.
The objective of this policy is to remove one of the barriers which prevent travellers from participating in union activities.
The Family Care Policy (FCP) is intended to assist the traveller in covering additional fees incurred as a direct result of attending an authorized PSAC activity.
To achieve a maximum amount of flexibility, every effort will be made to provide on-site child care where Early Childhood Educated (ECE) or certified caregivers are available for hire. When on-site childcare is provided, caregivers will be made available for evening sessions that form part of the schedule of events.
Where the traveller is the sole caregiver at the time of the authorized union activity, the FCP will cover costs for care during the day outside normal work/school/daycare hours. Family care costs that would have ordinarily been incurred during work hours had the traveller been at his/her place of work are not covered.
The FCP shall not cover cost for care provided by a spouse/partner, former spouse/partner with custody rights or a relative residing in the household.
Travellers are entitled to claim fees related to the care of the following family members who reside on a full or part-time basis with the traveller:
- child under 18 years of age;
- a person with a disability;
- an adult, who is a dependant, requiring care.
How to Claim
Original receipts must be attached to Family Care expense claims if submitted in hard copy form. If claims are submitted via the Member Expense Portal (MEP), receipts are not required unless care was provided by licensed agency/attendant or if selected for audit upon submission. Receipts must be retained by the traveller for a period of 2 years after the activity in case of future audits by the PSAC.
Receipts must include the following information:
- Caregiver’s full name
- Caregiver’s full address
- Caregiver’s telephone number
- Caregiver’s license number (if applicable)
- Detailed dates and hours when the care was provided for each individual family member
- Amount charged
- Caregiver’s signature
Reimbursement of Fees
- Where the care is provided by someone other than a licensed agency/caregiver or the spouse/partner, former spouse/partner with custody rights.
- the actual amount up to a maximum of $12 per hour, up to a maximum rate of $80 (for each 24-hour period) for the first family member;
- the actual amount up to a maximum of $12 per hour, up to a maximum rate of $55 (for each 24-hour period) for each additional family member.
A “24-hour period” is defined as care provided between the hours of 7:30 a.m. to 7:29 a.m. (the following day).
- If care is provided by a licensed agency/attendant, the actual fees will be reimbursed.
- Where an on-site child care program is provided at the PSAC activity, increased shared accommodation costs will be covered.
Upon request, consideration will be given to special needs or unusual circumstances resulting in costs which exceed the above rates and expenses allowable. Detailed information must be provided in advance for pre-approval.