Interested qualified applicants must complete the self-Identification form available on our website when applying.
Reporting to the Language Services Supervisor, the translator is part of a team responsible for providing high-quality language services in French and English to the various sections of Canada’s largest federal public service union. We are looking for an experienced candidate to translate and adapt a wide range of sometimes highly technical material (releases, administrative reports, collective agreements, financial statements, ads, videos, online courses, etc.). The ideal candidate will have strong judgement, initiative, flexibility and interpersonal skills required to work in a team environment, prioritize work and meet competing deadlines.
Purpose of Position
To translate a variety of documents from English to French mainly, but also from French to English.
Employment Equity Designation
As a result of the PSAC Workforce and Availability Analysis and in accordance with the PSAC Employment Equity Plan, the successful candidate for this appointment will be a qualified racially visible person.
Education and experience:
- B.A. in translation and five years translation experience or equivalent studies and experience.
- Practical knowledge of the technical field of translation involving specialized, complex techniques and documented textbook concepts;
- Basic knowledge of trade union roles, objectives and activities;
- Some familiarity with labour relations terminology.
- Proficiency in French and English spelling and grammar;
- Ability to communicate orally in French and English;
- Ability to resolve problems encountered during research, translation and revision;
- Ability to use translation tools and standard office software;
- Ability to work independently as well as cooperatively with others in a team environment.
- Understanding and commitment to trade union and equity principles.
A detailed job description is available at: psacunion.ca/jobs-psac
The PSAC is committed to employment equity and is actively seeking to ensure a representative workforce. We encourage applications from members of equity seeking groups.