The PSAC 2018 National Triennial Convention will begin on Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 2:30 p.m. and will end on Friday, May 4, 2018 at 12:00 p.m.
Registration will take place at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, North Building, 255 Front St W, Toronto, ON M5V 2W6, as indicated below:
Saturday, April 28, 2018: 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Sunday, April 29, 2018: 7:30 a.m. to 2:15 p.m.
All delegates attending the Convention must register by completing the registration form. Instructions for online registration will be provided to confirmed delegates individually once their name has been received by the Convention, Conferences and Project Officer.
The deadline for registration is
January 12, 2018
Registration must be completed prior to making any hotel and travel arrangements.
Travel to the Eighteenth PSAC National Triennial Convention will be arranged by our travel agents by the most economical means available based on the departure point.
- For delegates travelling more than 300 km (one way) the “normal mode of transportation” means by air.
- For delegates travelling less than 300 km (one way), who do not have rail access, the “normal mode of transportation” means by bus or car.
- For delegates travelling less than 300 km (one way) who have rail access, the “normal mode of transportation” means by train.
If you have any questions concerning the “normal mode of transportation”, or to obtain approval of travel arrangements that fall outside of these guidelines, please contact the Convention, Conferences and Project Officer at (613) 560-2597 or via email at: email@example.com
TRAVEL TO TORONTO
- Delegates are entitled to travel to the PSAC Convention to arrive in Toronto on Saturday, April 28th no later than 11:00 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time (EST). The PSAC travel agent will advise delegates of approved flights from their area.
- A room will be reserved as of Sunday, April 29th for delegates residing within 60km of the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. Reimbursement of expenses for these delegates will begin on that day.
- It is expected that most delegates will be able to travel and arrive on Saturday or Sunday and as such no leave without pay (LWOP) will be paid for Friday, April 27, 2018. All deviations to these guidelines will require prior approval. Please contact Gaëlle Félix, Convention, Conferences and Project Officer with your request for pre-approval of LWOP. The PSAC will pay for accommodations as of Friday, April 27th for those delegates who must travel on this day due to flight schedule restrictions.
- If Component meetings require earlier or later travel, the Components will be responsible for the extra costs. The PSAC will reimburse delegates as though they had travelled for Convention purposes only.
TRAVEL FROM TORONTO
- Delegates will be scheduled to return home on Friday, May 4, 2018. However, delegates will not be scheduled to travel out of Toronto before 2:00 p.m. Accommodations for Friday, May 4th, will not be paid to any delegate who would normally be required to travel on Friday but who has requested to stay over for personal reasons.
- Delegates will not be expected to travel out of Toronto on Friday, May 4th, if their flight arrives at their destination airport after 11:45 p.m. The PSAC will pay for accommodations for that evening and delegates will be expected to depart on a morning flight on Saturday, May 5th. Consideration will be given to those delegates with unusual travel circumstances.
- Any delegate whose “normal mode of transportation” would have been by air or train and who chose to travel by car to Toronto will be treated as though they had travelled by air or train. These delegates will be expected to travel out on Friday, or personally assume the additional costs for accommodation, meals, etc.
Delegates will be required to take the train shuttle service to and from the Toronto airport.
Union Pearson Express (UP Express) connects Canada’s two busiest transportation hubs: Toronto Pearson International Airport and Union Station in downtown Toronto. UP Express trains depart every 15 minutes and the journey takes just 25 minutes. The UP Pearson Station is located right beside the blue Link Train at Terminal 1, connecting travellers to Terminal 3. For more information, visit www.upexpress.com
Additional information regarding ticket purchases at group rates and schedules will be provided to all confirmed delegates in January 2018.
All other ground transportation expenses will be reimbursed as per the PSAC Travel Policy guidelines. Delegates are advised to retain all receipts.
Please note that exceptions will be made in cases of accommodation of a disability but pre-approval will be required.
The Per Diem established by Convention is $105.00 and will apply as follows:
- Six (6) official days of Convention (Sunday, April 29th to Friday, May 4th).
Where not already covered by the Per Diem (such as travel on Saturday, April 28th), meals and incidentals will be paid at the rates specified in the most current PSAC Travel Policy for the authorized travel based on the fastest means of travel available and the number of hours required for the day of travel by commercial travel.
The Convention will be held at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, in Toronto, Ontario. A block of rooms has been reserved at the Intercontinental Toronto Hotel and at the Fairmont Royal York. The PSAC will confirm delegate hotel accommodation by January 29, 2018. Registration must be completed to secure a hotel room.
Please note that for delegates residing in the Toronto area (and at less than 60 km one-way) a room will be reserved for you as of the Sunday, April 29, 2018.
A rooming list will be provided to the hotel for all delegates. The room rate, plus taxes will be charged to the PSAC Master Account. Delegates will be responsible for any personal expenses that they may charge to their room (i.e. internet, movies, meals, telephone calls, etc.). Delegates will still be required to register in the usual fashion (cash or credit card deposit) and check out in the usual way (settling account for expenses plus any extra nights’ accommodation the delegate may have chosen to add on). If you do not have a credit card, please contact Gaëlle Felix at (613) 560-2597 or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org before March 9, 2018.
All delegates must reserve within the PSAC room blocks.
All reservations must be made through the PSAC and hotels will not accept any individual reservation requests.
Please note that hotels are completely smoke-free.
Starting January 29, 2018, delegates must contact W.E. Travel to make air and train reservations.
W.E. Travel 25-A York Street
Ottawa, ON, K1N 5S7
Tel.: (613) 232-9908 | 1-888-676-7747 | (613) 232-9931
The deadline for making travel arrangements is
March 9, 2018
Transportation from outside of the Toronto Area
The travel agents have been instructed to book “at the lowest discounted rate”, including seat selection and baggage fee.Any delegate choosing to travel by air or rail at a more expensive rate will be responsible for the additional cost.W.E. Travel will bill the PSAC directly for your travel costs up to the approved rates; they will require the delegate to remit directly to the travel agency the balance in excess of these rates.
“Any penalty costs incurred as a result of changes or cancellations made by the participant after tickets are issued will be the responsibility of the participant, except in cases where penalty costs are the result of unusual circumstances or emergency situations beyond the control of the participant."
Delegates may not purchase their own air or rail transportation without prior approval which must be obtained through the Convention, Conferences and Project Officer. Should approval be granted, the reimbursement will not exceed the actual cost to a maximum of the most economical fare that the PSAC would have obtained and delegates must submit proof of payment for air or rail travel.
Travel by privately owned motor vehicle (POMV)
Delegates who do not reside in the Toronto area who choose to travel by POMV, where commercial air and rail transportation are available, will be reimbursed for kilometric distance at the applicable rate plus self-parking, up to a maximum of $700 (round trip).
Loss of salary and expenses will be paid only for the period of absence that would have been necessary had air or train travel been used.
Delegates who have no access to commercial transportation (i.e. train, air) and must travel by POMV, will be reimbursed the applicable mileage at the rate specified in the PSAC Travel Directive. Self-parking at the hotel will also be reimbursed.
All requests for travel by POMV must be obtained in advance by contacting the PSAC by e-mail at email@example.com.
Transportation from the Toronto Area
Delegates who reside in the Toronto area (within 60 km) and who travel by Privately Owned Motor Vehicle (POMV), may be reimbursed mileage at the rate specified in the PSAC Travel Directives as well as be reimbursed for their self-parking at the hotel.
ON-SITE CHILD CARE AND/OR FAMILY CARE EXPENSES
The objective of the PSAC Family Care Policy is to remove a barrier which may prevent delegates from participating fully in Union activities and which provides for the reimbursement of family care expenses. A copy of the policy is available on the PSAC website at http://psacunion.ca/family-care-policy.
On-site child care is intended to remove a barrier to a delegate's ability to participate at the Convention and is provided only for those who could not otherwise attend, had the service not been available. Only the registered delegate is permitted to pick up or drop off children during the conference. Requests must be received no later than March 9, 2018 firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upon request, an advance may be authorized for Family Care fees. Detailed information must be provided in advance for pre-approval. Please contact Gaëlle Felix at (613) 560-2597 or by email email@example.com.
LOSS OF SALARY
Actual loss of salary will be reimbursed for all working days lost during the Convention. There will be no compensation of salary for weekends and travel time, unless indicated below, as well as no overtime compensation.
- When a delegate has been authorized to travel during normal working hours, reimbursement will be made based on the fastest means of travel available and the number of hours required for the day of travel by commercial travel (i.e. air).
- The PSAC will cover the loss of salary for delegates that are regularly scheduled to work on Saturday, April 28th and/or Sunday, April 29th, upon receipt of official work or shift schedule.
- For participants requesting to travel by car where the maximum allowed for driving rules apply, the above guidelines also apply.
Please note that expense claims will be prepared for delegates prior to the Convention and a cheque covering per diem, salary, additional meals and incidentals (based on approved travel itineraries) will be provided at the time of registering on-site at the Convention. Salary will only be included for those delegates who have submitted their “Request for Reimbursement of Loss of Salary” form by March 9, 2018 (link to this form will be provided to all registered delegates in January 2018).
This cheque will constitute a reimbursement of expenses and not an advance. Delegates will only be required to complete a supplemental claim for reimbursement of ground transportation, salary (if not provided on the cheque) and any additional pre-approved expenses.
Accounting staff will be on-site at the Convention to assist you in completing any additional claims online (via the Member Expense Portal (MEP)). You must bring all original receipts for ground transportation and official work or shift schedule (if you were regularly scheduled to work on the weekend).
Expense claims must be submitted to PSAC Finance within 90 days following the Convention.
If you requested accommodation for a disability on your registration form which requires a follow-up, please contact Gaëlle Felix at (613) 560-2597 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NO SCENTS PLEASE!
In consideration for the health of our Sisters and Brothers who may suffer from environmental disabilities, and with the goal of eliminating a contaminant from the air, the PSAC requests that all participants attending the conference refrain from using scented products. These include scented perfumes, colognes, lotions, hairsprays, deodorants and other products promoted by the fragrance industry.