What can I do?
Note: PSAC does not necessarily affiliate with or endorse these organizations, they are simply here for your information
Learn more about mental health in the workplace:
- Union education: To sign up for a workshop on mental health or other related topics check out your PSAC regional office upcoming education courses.
- Joint union-employer workshops: If work in the federal public service, the Joint Learning Program offers a workshop called Mental Health in the Workplace. Find out about workshops and other resources offered by Mental Health Works.
- Learn about the National Standard of Canada for Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace
- Get the facts about different mental health conditions.
- Mental health awareness campaigns : Not Myself Today, Bell Let’s Talk, Defeat Depression
- Mental Health Works has a series of videos about dealing with mental health issues at work and returning to work after an absence
Know your rights and benefits at work:
- Find out about Disability Insurance, workers compensation (injury on duty), grievances, health and safety, the duty to accommodate
- Employee Assistance programs: each employer has a different EAP provider; contact your human resources department at work, or if you work in the federal public service, you can contact Employee Assistance Services (covers most federal public service employees)
- Dealing with harassment or bullying in the workplace
- Are you a steward or union rep who needs advice or help assisting a member with a mental health disability? Contact your PSAC regional office or component
Some other helpful resources and links:
- A number of tools for dealing with mental health in workplace are available from Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety’s Healthy Minds at Work, the Mood Disorders Society of Canada, and Workplace Strategies for Mental Health
- You might also want to check out the Mental Health Commission of Canada
- There’s first aid for physical injuries but there’s also mental health first aid
- You can find resources or help in your community here