Meet the SV bargaining team

Bill Ryan is a coast guard seaman based in St. John’s, Newfoundland. He is also a ship’s crews representative for the union.

“Because of the top quality services we provide, Canada is a desirable place to live. A strong collective agreement will ensure we maintain this condition for generations.” 

 

          (Atlantic)

Serge Desbiens is a fire fighter at CFB Borden in Ontario.  He is an UNDE Ontario assistant vice-president.

“Members in the SV group have been underpaid for decades. Treasury Board identified this huge pay gap and started correcting this by offering 40 per cent of this shortage.  They haven’t given us the remaining 60 per cent.  We want it!”

 

          (Ontario)

Melvin Dureen is a shift engineer working in the Matsqui Complex, a correctional service institution in Abbotsford, B.C.  He is also the USGE regional vice president for B.C.

“The attacks on the union and our benefits could result in big losses that recovery will be extremely difficult.”

 

        (British Columbia)

Marcelo Lazaro is a Victoria, B.C.-based maintenance worker who inspects and maintains the offices of military personnel.  He is a local president and an area council vice president.

“When we have a strong collective agreement, we set high standards for rest of the Canadian public.”

 
 
         (British Columbia)
 

Frank Nitschmann is a stationary engineer based in Perth, Ontario, and a local president.  He believes that this round of negotiations is important as the government has been trying to take away its employees rights.

“A good and fair collective agreement will keep people wanting to work for the federal government.”

 

           (Ontario)

Rose Smith-Gimblett works as a kitchen assistant in the Department of National Defence, the first vice-president of UNDE local 619 and Barrie Area Council.  She believes that as a woman union activist, she can speak for those who are afraid to speak for themselves.

“Stand behind your bargaining team, mobilize and keep informed.”

           (Ontario)

Blair Winger is a firefighter and a local president. He provides fire protection and first medical response to Canadian Forces members living on CFB Suffield as well as to civilians in the region.

“Come to meetings, be informed, and ask questions. Knowledge is power.”

 

           (Prairies)

Topics: 

Employers: 

June 24, 2014
Share/Save