Under the direction of the Programs Coordinator and AEC Officers responsible for programs and as part of a team that includes other programs, is responsible for the development and maintenance of the PSAC Human Rights Program which has the ultimate goal of integrating human rights issues into all areas of the union work and provide the PSAC with expertise in human rights matters.
The Human Rights Program is dedicated exclusively to the promotion and coordination of equality issues, within our union, the broader labour movement, within the workplaces of our members and in our communities. The duties of the program can overlap several functions (education, policy drafting, organizing political action, collective bargaining, legislative reviews, problem solving, etc.).
As a result of the PSAC Workforce and Availability Analysis and in accordance with the PSAC Employment Equity Plan, the successful candidate for this appointment will be a qualified racially visible person.
- Knowledge of issues related to human rights and equity;
- Knowledge of trade union roles, objectives and activities.
- Ability to write well documented reports, educational materials, articles and documents on various related topics;
- Ability to communicate effectively, tactfully and persuasively on a variety of complex issues to varying audiences (e.g. other unions, interest groups, governments, employers) to obtain information, goodwill and/or support as well as to give information;
- Ability to conceptualize, plan and carry out activities/projects on a national scale, ensuring goals are set and results and deadlines are met (conferences, forum);
- Ability to recognize, research and analyze issues in a timely and responsive manner;
- Ability to set priorities, remain focused, coordinate several time sensitive projects simultaneously covering a variety of issues;
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing in English and/or French.
- Demonstrate commitment to trade union and equity principles.
A detailed job description is available on our website: http://psacunion.ca/jobs-psac
The PSAC is committed to employment equity and is actively seeking to ensure a representative workforce. We encourage applications from members of equity seeking groups.