The Employment Transition Policy (ETP) negotiated for CFIA employees forms part of your collective agreement and is found in Appendix B. This policy is comparable to the Work Force Adjustment Policies found in other PSAC agreements. Specific references to relevant
sections of the ETP are indicated in brackets.
Note that the ETP only applies to indeterminate employees. Unfortunately, term employees are not covered by the ETP.
The ETP sets out a number of principles for its application, including:
- The employer shall maximise employment opportunities for indeterminate employees affected by employment transition, primarily through ensuring that, wherever possible, alternative employment opportunities are provided to them (Policy).
- It is the responsibility of CFIA to ensure employees involved in an employment
- transition situation are treated equitably and given every reasonable opportunity
- to continue their careers as Agency employees (1.1.1).
- CFIA shall carry out effective human resource planning in order to minimize the
- impact of employment transition situations (1.1.2).
- CFIA shall apply Appendix B so as to minimize involuntary lay-offs (1.1.15).
Although the Appendix allows CFIA to implement lay-offs, these over-riding principles compel your employer to make every reasonable effort to avoid them. As the remaining fact sheets outline, these broad principles are supported by detailed, specific procedures designed to minimize lay-offs.