The position provides administrative services to the National President, the Political Assistant to the National President, the Executive Assistant to the Alliance Executive Committee (AEC), the Executive Office Political Assistants, the AEC including the Regional Executive Vice-Presidents (REVPs) and the National Board of Directors (NBoD) committees as well as the PSAC Holdings Board.
The position supervises the Executive Office Administrative Assistant and the Information Management Administrative Assistant.
- General administrative and secretarial knowledge and ability associated with successful completion of business and/or secretarial training, or equivalent normally provided through several years of experience;
- Knowledge of basic financial accounting procedures;
- Knowledge of trade union role, objectives and activities;
- Thorough knowledge of the PSAC and its Branches and Sections, as well as the areas of national and regional responsibilities.
- Thorough knowledge of the Constitution, Regulations organization, functions and policies of the PSAC.
- Knowledge of the federal government and its operations, government committees, lobbying, third-party advertising rules, etc.
- Experience working in a high level administrative capacity for a complex, large organization providing administrative support to a senior executive and team of senior executives.
- Experience in supervision, development and leadership of others.
- Well-developed time management skills to plan, prioritize and meet strict deadlines effectively while remaining focused in the face of multiple distractions;
- Ability to accept responsibility and work effectively without close supervision and problem solving in a methodical and efficient manner, and cooperatively with others in a team;
- Ability in organizing material, information, in a systematic way to optimize efficiency and minimize duplication of effort;
- Proficiency in the use of Windows’ applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. as well as e-mail, and Internet;
- Proficiency in spelling, vocabulary and in the application and usage of French and English grammar;
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing in English or French or in both official languages (according to the position’s requirements)
- Strong problem-solving abilities;
- Ability to deal with sensitive information in a diplomatic and tactful manner and to exercise good judgment in a politically sensitive environment;
- Initiative, good judgment;
- Very good interpersonal skills;
- Understanding of and commitment to union principles;
A detailed job description is available on our website: http://psacunion.ca/jobs-psac or on the attached document.
The PSAC is committed to employment equity and is actively seeking to ensure a representative workforce. We encourage applications from members of equity seeking groups.