Union dues as of January 1, 2016 until December 31, 2018
- Your PSAC dues rate is 0.9740%.
Strike fund contribution fund
- Members also provide monthly contributions to the PSAC strike fund
- These are both ongoing contributions, continued from the previous budget cycle
- Members contribute $1.00 each month to the PSAC strike fund. If the fund falls below $25 million, that contribution will increase
- There is more than $25 million currently in the fund. This provides payment of strike pay, benefits and expenses when members are on strike or have been locked out
Differences in deductions
- The total amount deducted for union dues will vary, depending on your Local/Branch and Component affiliation.
- On average, PSAC receives 55% of dues, with 45% going to Components and Locals/Branches.
Dues for members in PSAC Components are made up of:
- PSAC dues + Component dues + Local/Branch dues. Some Components changed the amount of their dues in 2015
- Other Components amended their dues in 2016
- There are some Components who have kept their dues static
- Any change in dues are a result of decisions taken by delegates at each Component’s triennial convention Changes in Local and Branch dues may also apply. Such changes would be as a result of decisions taken by members at their Local/Branch annual general membership meetings.
Directly Chartered Locals
Dues for members in Directly Chartered Locals consist of:
- PSAC dues + Local dues (where applicable) + service agreement abatement (an amount determined in the individual service agreement, paid to the local or PSAC for servicing).
- The rate of the service agreement abatement is calculated using the weighted average of Component dues which all members of Directly Chartered Locals pay.
- This rate is reviewed every three years following the Component convention cycle and the rate (either static or new) is approved by the Alliance Executive Committee. After remaining unchanged for nearly 10 years, the rate was amended in April 2015.